The 11th Conference on Im/politeness will take place in Valencia, on 4-6 of July, 2018, under the auspices of the Linguistic Politeness Research Group and the University of Valencia. The theme of the conference is Im/Politeness Across Disciplines. For more info: https://congresos.adeituv.es/sympol11/.
Confirmed Plenary Speakers:
- Pilar G. Blitvich – University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Ruth Page – University of Birmingham
- Barry Pennock-Speck – Universitat de València
- Klaus P. Schneider – Universität Bonn
- Maria Sifianou – National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
The aim of the conference is to bring together scholars who are interested in exploring the cross-fertilization of im/politeness with a diversity of disciplines and approaches to the study of discourse, such as:
- Im/politeness and (new) media studies
- Im/politeness and cognitive pragmatics
- Im/politeness and conversation analysis
- Im/politeness and corpus linguistics
- Im/politeness and critical discourse analysis
- Im/politeness and gender studies
- Im/politeness and intercultural communication
- Im/politeness and literary studies
- Im/politeness and multimodality
- Im/politeness and narrative analysis
- Im/politeness and second language acquisition/teaching
- Im/politeness and translation studies
- Im/politeness and variational pragmatics
In keeping with the tradition of previous im/politeness conferences, we further welcome individual submissions and panel proposals that deal with any area related to im/politeness.
Call for individual and panel abstracts – Contributions can be of two types:
- Individual presentations: these will be 20 minutes in length and will be followed by a 10 minutes discussion.
- Panel presentations: these will include from 3 to 6 contributions on the same topic.
Abstracts for regular papers should be approximately 300 words (excluding references) and should be sent by e-mail as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2018. Please include the title of your presentation and your name, affiliation and e-mail address in the body of your e-mail. Your attachment should bear only the title and the abstract of your presentation and up to five keywords. All abstracts will be evaluated by an international scientific committee and authors will be notified of their decision through e-mail by the end of February, 2018. Participants may be the first author of only one presentation and the second author of another one
Panel organizers should submit a brief outline of approximately 250 words (excluding references) of the theme of the panel by 30 November 2017. They should aim at 3 or 6 presentations (1 or 2 90 minute sessions). All abstracts should be approximately 300 words (excluding references) and should be sent by the panel organizer as e-mail attachment to email@example.com by January 15, 2018 as with regular papers.
Please disseminate this information to any colleagues you think might be interested.